Meet The Chef Whose Nonprofit Provides Healthy Meals + Human Con…
How To Make a Cucumber Margarita | John Cusimano
See Rachael's Dog Bella Boo Blue's Adorable First Trip to NYC's …
How To Make Shrimp Nachos with Green Tomato or Raw Tomatillo Ver…
75-Year-Old Hot Dog Stand In L.A. Goes Viral On TikTok After Bec…
How To Make No-Bake Chocolate Cream Pie | Duff Goldman
How To Make Waterfall Cake | Cake Boss Buddy Valastro
How To Make Cacio e Pepe With Homemade Cavatelli | Top Chef Joe …
How To Make Cedar Braised Bison | Chef Sean Sherman | The Sioux …
How To Make Pasta alla Norma | Roasted Eggplant Pasta | Rachael…
Two Steps Home HGTV Couple Gives Backyard Tour With Vertical Gar…
How To Make Challah Panzanella | Jake Cohen
Tommy DiDario Styles Man Who Went Viral Offering To Do Odd Jobs …
How To DIY Sun Protection For Hair | Celebrity Hairstylist Ted G…
How To Do a Twist Braid | Summer Hair Trends | Celebrity Hairsty…
How To Make Quick Beef or Chicken Curry with Ginger and Leeks | …
Rachael + John Get Emotional Sharing Figurine Of "Angel Isaboo" …
Fear The Walking Dead Actress Jenna Elfman On Why She Thinks The…
Dharma & Greg Star Jenna Elfman Reminisces On The Show 20 Years …
How To Make Pasta con Poblano | Rachael Ray
- 1/2 cup dry borlotti beans or 1 can pink beans or kidney beans (preferred brand Goya)
- 1/2 cup dry cannellini or small white beans or 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions, peeled and 1 halved and 1 chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 meaty chunk (1/3 pound) pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 ribs celery heart with leafy tops, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 fat cloves garlic, crushed, sliced or chopped
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound zucchini or other seasonal vegetable, diced or cut into like-size shape and pieces
- 1 head escarole, coarsely chopped or Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- A handful dried porcini mushrooms, coarsely chopped or torn
- 2 quarts beef or chicken stock, divided
- Herb bundle (a few sprigs each) of thyme, sage, rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes or 3 tomatoes (if they’re in season), peeled and diced
- 1 chunk Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- 1 cup grated Parm, for topping
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for finishing and serving
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Cover the dry beans with water and soak them overnight. Or, cover them with boiling water and soak for 1 hour then rinse and drain. (For even quicker cooking, substitute canned beans and just add them to the soup along with tomatoes and stock.)
Place soaked beans in a 6- to 8-quart pot and cover them with 3 inches of water. Add bay and halved onion, and bring to full boil. Salt water liberally and cook beans to tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool in their liquid, which will be about 2 cups once cooked.
Heat a large Dutch oven or 8-quart soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, and pancetta. Render 3-5 minutes then add chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Sweat veggies 15 minutes, stirring occasionally then add potatoes and zucchini or other vegetable of choice, and season with salt. Partially cover and soften 15-20 minutes more. Wilt in escarole or kale.
In a small saucepan, add porcini mushrooms and stock just to cover, about 2 cups. Simmer until the porcinis are softened, about 15 minutes.
Add herbs, tomatoes, remaining stock and cheese rind, and simmer a minimum of 1 hour and ideally 2 hours. Add porcini and stock, leaving any grit behind, along with the beans and their liquid. Cool 5 minutes and remove herb bundle, bay leaf and rind.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with a fat drizzle of good EVOO and some grated cheese.
Pass crusty bread at the table for mopping.
Springtime Veggie Minestrone
Minestrone with Tomato and Fennel