How To Make Red Onion and Smoked Bacon Spaghetti with Cherry Pep…
Rach's French Onion Risotto + Kyan Douglas' Favorite At-Home Gro…
Queer Eye's Karamo Gives Viewers Advice + Rach's One-Pot Dinner
Rach's Stuffed Shells 2 Ways + Jacques Pépin's Salmon Au Gratin
Katherine Heigl Dishes On Her Netflix Show "Firefly Lane" + Rach…
Daphne Oz's Healthy & Cheesy Comfort Food + Athleisure Trends
Rach's Orecchiette With Bacon! Plus, More Q & Ray + J Questions …
Freddie Prinze Jr. Talks Family Life With Sarah Michelle Gellar …
Rach's English Muffin Bacon, Egg & Cheeseburgers + Ty Pennington…
Tim Tebow's 3 Puppies + Tasty Twist On Coffee Cake From "Girl Me…
Meet TIME's First-Ever Kid of the Year + A Resilience Expert On …
Matthew McConaughey Shares Personal Stories From His Memoir + Ra…
Clinton Kelly's No-Bake Banana Toffee Pie + Rach's Steak Caesar …
Rachael Makes a Rotisserie Chicken Dinner + Hangs With Michael P…
Jacques Pépin Cooks From Home + A Surprise Virtual Baby Shower F…
Viral Video of Man Dancing Joyfully In The Snow After Getting Hi…
Emotional Surprise For Founder of Animal Rescue Non-Profit That …
How Do Rachael & John Take Their Coffee + How Much Do They Drink…
How To Make Spicy Fried Chicken | Rachael Ray
How To Make Oil 'n' Vinegar Slaw With Poppy Seeds | Rachael Ray
Rachael + John Passionately Sing "Could Have Been Me" With John'…
Smoked pancetta serves as the base for Rach's flavorful spaghetti that combines spicy peppers, sweet red onions and more in this deceptively simple dinner.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- ⅓ pound slab-cut smoked pancetta or meaty bacon, chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- Coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
- ½ cup red vermouth, or red wine plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- One 28-ounce can Italian chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup Italian hot cherry peppers in brine, chopped
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti or bucatini
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, (⅓ palmful)
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion, (⅓ palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, (⅓ palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley, (⅓ palmful)
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar (⅓ palmful), or honey
- ½ teaspoon crushed or ground red pepper, pepperoncini
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, white or red
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 gem Romaine, or 1 heart of Romaine
- 1 small bulb fennel
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- Italian hot cherry pepper rings in brine, drained (preferably Cento brand)
For the spaghetti, heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
Heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO, 3 turns of the pan. Add bacon and render, 2-3 minutes, then add onion and cook to soften 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, bay and black pepper and cook 2 minutes more. Add sundried tomato paste and stir a minute, add red vermouth or wine and sugar, then add tomatoes, cherry peppers and parsley, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
Salt water and cook pasta 1 minute less than direction on package, reserve half a mug, ½-¾ cup water, drain, then toss with cheese, the sauce and the reserved water.
Serve pasta in shallow bowls and top with basil.
Serve with Simple Italian Salad.
For the Simple Italian Salad, gather ingredients.
For the dressing, combine granulated garlic and onion, oregano, parsley and sugar in a Mason jar or plastic container, add vinegar, Dijon, EVOO, salt and pepper, then shake to combine.
Chop the lettuce and add to a bowl. Quarter and core the fennel and thinly slice. Thinly slice the onion. Add the fennel and onion to salad along with cherry pepper rings, and toss with dressing to serve.