- 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- Flour, for sprinkling
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Scotch bonnet pepper, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 carrots, cubed
- 3 large russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 400F.
Lightly dust the chicken with flour. In a cast-iron pot over medium temperature, heat olive oil. Add chicken and saut until lightly browned. Remove chicken and set aside. In the same pot, add butter, garlic, onion, ginger, scotch bonnet pepper and curry powder; saut for about 5 minutes or until the curry turns a dark golden brown. Add the carrots, potatoes, thyme, scallions, salt and the reserved chicken; then continue to saut for about 2 minutes. Add water and bring to a simmer. While continually stirring, add coconut milk and allow to thicken. Remove the pot from heat and set aside.
In 6 10-ounce ramekins, evenly distribute the filling. Use an additional ramekin as a stencil to cut out six rounds in the puff pastry, about 1/4-inch wider than the rim of the ramekin. Brush each of the rounds of the puff pastry and cover each of the ramekins (egg wash side down). Then brush the top of the puff pastry with egg wash and bake for about 30 minutes.