How to Make a Vermouth Spritz | John Cusimano
Stop Everything and Listen to "Buongiorno Baby"—the Song John Co…
How to Make Bistecca (Porterhouse) with Walnut Salsa Verde and C…
Rachael Reveals Her Favorite Place to Eat in Tuscany, Italy | Q …
What's In Our Meal Bag? 3 Sweet Stories from Viewers Who Tried R…
Brooke Shields Tearfully Recounts Devastating Accident + Leg Inj…
How to Make Roasted Honey-Soy Green Beans | Rachael Ray
We Surprise a Mom of 10 (Including 6 Foster Kids!) Who Works So …
How to Make Salt 'n' Pepper Pork or Chicken | Rachael Ray
How to Make Caramel Apple Shortcakes | Grant Melton
How to Make Sausages with Apples and Onions & Charred, Spiced Ca…
Robin Roberts Tearfully Recalls the Emotional Moment Her Sister …
How to Make Easy Grilled Corn with Jalapeño Cilantro Glaze | Sun…
How to Make Sheet Pan Chicken with Rosemary & Grapes | Queer Eye…
How to Make Chianti Risotto with Garlicky Spinach and Oven Charr…
Feast Your Eyes on Our Savory 16 Charcuterie Board + We Promise …
How to Make an Edible Cheeseboard With Focaccia for Your Next Pa…
How to Make Miso Ramen with Steak, Japanese-Style Tomato Salad +…
How to Make Apple Cider Doughnut Cake | Milk Bar's Christina Tosi
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Russet potato, medium peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped yellow
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, small, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced cremini
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 microwave-in-bag haricots verts, 8-ounce package
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen, thawed
- 1 pie crust, 14.1-ounce package refrigerated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 egg, large lightly beaten
- parsley, Chopped fresh flat-leaf
- Variation: you can easily substitute thawed frozen green beans for the French haricots verts in this homey dish.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the potato, onion and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally for 6 minutes. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are almost tender, about 8 minutes.
Cook the haricots verts according to the package directions. Cool slightly, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add the haricots verts, chicken and peas to the potato mixture. Remove skillet from the heat and set aside.
Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, hot sauce and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Pour the cream sauce over the chicken mixture in the skillet, and stir gently to combine.
Unroll the pie crust and fit it over the filling, fluting around the edges, if desired. Brush the crust lightly with the beaten egg and cut 4 small slits for the steam to escape. Bake until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with the hot sauce, if desired.
Excerpt from Valerie’s Home Cooking by Valerie Bertinelli. Copyright © 2017 by Valerie Bertinelli. Used with permission by Oxmoor House. All rights reserved.