Top breast cancer surgeon Dr. Kristi Funk shares her daily smoothie recipe, an antioxidant-packed blend of berries, spinach, matcha, flaxseeds, aloe + spices.
"To make this nutrient-rich bomb, you will need a high-quality blender to mash through the frozen antioxidants and mix all the flavors, ideally one with at least 500 watts and a 64-ounce pitcher like a Vitamix," Dr. Funk says. "Especially when using whole flaxseeds, make sure they grind up and disappear. Alternatively, use a coffee grinder first, or buy ground flaxseeds. Your body can’t digest the outer hull, which contains most of the fiber and all the lignans."
Pro Tip: Swap 1 cup berries for other fruits like apple, orange, mango, pear, peach, etc. To mix things up, add vanilla, fresh mint or basil leaves, lime or lemon juice, fresh ginger root, cayenne pepper, or 1 to 2 drops of the powerful antioxidant clove oil. (Warning: Clove oil is extremely potent. Do test drops in a small portion of your smoothie to see what you can handle. The first time I tried it, my lips went numb for an hour, but I used 20 drops!)
Dr. Funk likes Amla Boss for her gooseberry powder, Aloe Tonic for her aloe vera juice, and Ancient Matcha for her matcha — which are all from her women's health organization, Pink Lotus — but any brand should work well.
- 1 ½ cups soy or other plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons pure aloe vera juice
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- ¼ teaspoon Amla (Indian gooseberry powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric, or ¼-inch fresh turmeric root
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- ¼ cup brewed green tea
- 1 small peeled and frozen banana
- 1 dried date , pitted
- 2 cups packed dark leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, or collard greens
- 2 cups berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, blueberries and/or strawberries
In a high-powered blender, combine all the ingredients and process on high until thick and creamy.
Pour into a large cup and sip over 20 minutes.