A quick and easy nacho cheese sauce seals the deal on Rach's delicious nacho dogs.
For the ultimate Memorial Day menu, Rach likes to serve her nacho dogs along with her Chicago Dogs, Big Smack Burgers With Special Sauce, Swiss Cheese Burgers With Horseradish-Ranch Sauce, Skillet Barbecue Beans AND John's Boozy Coffee Egg Cream Cocktail.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Fresno chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 round tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup yellow sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- About ¼ cup diced tomato
- About 3 tablespoons chopped pickles (Rach used sweet & spicy cornichons)
- About 3 tablespoons chopped vidalia onions
- Top-split buns
- Beef, pork or plant-based hot dogs
- Yellow mustard, for topping
- Sliced pickled jalapeño peppers, for topping
For the nacho sauce, in a small skillet, melt butter, then stir in chilies and garlic and cook out for 1 minute. Add flour, stir, whisk in milk and thicken up a bit, then stir in cheeses to melt. Reduce heat to low, or cover and remove from heat, then reheat on low to serve.
For the relish, mix ingredients together.
Toast lightly-buttered top-split buns on hot griddle or in a skillet.
Heat hot dogs in skillet with ⅛ inch of water. Bring water to boil, and when dogs are hot, transfer to hot griddle or grill and crisp casings.
To assemble nacho dogs: Toasted bun, dog, mustard, nacho sauce, relish, and pickled jalapeño slices.