Rachael’s Beer Cheese Soup and Cauliflower Salad
Meet The Chef Whose Nonprofit Provides Healthy Meals + Human Con…
How To Make a Cucumber Margarita | John Cusimano
See Rachael's Dog Bella Boo Blue's Adorable First Trip to NYC's …
How To Make Shrimp Nachos with Green Tomato or Raw Tomatillo Ver…
75-Year-Old Hot Dog Stand In L.A. Goes Viral On TikTok After Bec…
How To Make No-Bake Chocolate Cream Pie | Duff Goldman
How To Make Waterfall Cake | Cake Boss Buddy Valastro
How To Make Cacio e Pepe With Homemade Cavatelli | Top Chef Joe …
How To Make Cedar Braised Bison | Chef Sean Sherman | The Sioux …
How To Make Pasta alla Norma | Roasted Eggplant Pasta | Rachael…
Two Steps Home HGTV Couple Gives Backyard Tour With Vertical Gar…
How To Make Challah Panzanella | Jake Cohen
Tommy DiDario Styles Man Who Went Viral Offering To Do Odd Jobs …
How To DIY Sun Protection For Hair | Celebrity Hairstylist Ted G…
How To Do a Twist Braid | Summer Hair Trends | Celebrity Hairsty…
How To Make Quick Beef or Chicken Curry with Ginger and Leeks | …
Rachael + John Get Emotional Sharing Figurine Of "Angel Isaboo" …
Fear The Walking Dead Actress Jenna Elfman On Why She Thinks The…
Dharma & Greg Star Jenna Elfman Reminisces On The Show 20 Years …
This Incredible 15-Year-Old Baker Is Fighting Child Food Insecur…
A crunchy, pickle-laced salad is the perfect side for this creamy soup with a cheesy popcorn topping.
*For popcorn topping, heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan with lid over medium-high heat, add ½ cup popcorn kernels, and pop, covered, shaking the pan, then remove from heat and add an even sprinkle, about 1½ teaspoons paprika and 2 tablespoons powdered cheese (available online from several spice vendors in white and yellow cheddar). Or buy a sack of Smartfood!
- 2 carrots, peeled, fine dice
- 1 parsnip, peeled, fine dice
- 3 ribs celery with leafy tops, fine dice
- 1 large white onion, fine dice
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika, 2/3 scant palmful
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
- 1 bottle beer, preferably a lager
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- Two (12)-ounce packages sharp shredded cheddar cheese, yellow or white (5 cups total)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Finely chopped chives
- Freshly buttered popcorn with paprika and powdered white or yellow powder* OR store-bought cheddar popcorn
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces of stem and florets
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- About 3/4 cup olives with pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley tops, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian hot cherry pepper rings, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 scant teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar, red or white
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
- Salt and pepper
For the soup, add chopped carrots, parsnips, celery, onion and garlic to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Place a large deep skillet or medium soup pot on stove over medium-high heat, and add vegetable mixture and cook to soften, 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, hot sauce and beer, bring to boil and reduce a minute, then add stock and bring to boil. Simmer at low rolling boil 20-25 minutes to reduce by half.
Meanwhile, heat a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium to medium-high heat, add butter and melt. When foam subsides, whisk in flour, then add milk while whisking and allow base to thicken a bit to coat spoon. Season mildly with salt. Add cheese a few handfuls at a time, stirring with wooden spoon, until cheese is incorporated. Blend mixture with an immersion blender to create a velvety texture (this step is optional). Add Worcestershire and Dijon and stir to combine.
Slowly stir the reduced vegetable mixture into cheese mixture. Mix until smooth.
To serve, top with chives and popcorn*.
*For popcorn topping (if making), heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan with lid over medium-high heat, add ½ cup popcorn kernels, and pop, covered, shaking the pan, then remove from heat and add an even sprinkle, about 1½ teaspoons paprika and 2 tablespoons powdered cheese (available online from several spice vendors in white and yellow cheddar). Or buy a sack of Smartfood!
For the salad, bring a few inches of water to a rolling boil in a deep skillet or pot. Set up a large bowl of ice water.
Trim and cut cauliflower while water comes to boil. Season water with salt, add cauliflower and cook 5 minutes or so to tender-crisp, drain in fine strainer and cold-shock by submerging the strainer in the ice water. Drain and dry the cauliflower, then place in large bowl with onion, celery, olives, parsley and cherry peppers.
For the dressing, whisk garlic, oregano or marjoram, lemon and vinegar, stream in oil, then season dressing with salt and pepper.
Dress cauliflower salad and toss to combine; chill or serve.