- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
- ½ cup water
- Two 14-ounce cans black beans
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Rach's go-to is Frank's)
Heat olive oil, a turn of the pan, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeños, salt, pepper and cumin and cook 5 minutes to soften. Add water and reduce to 2 to 3 tablespoons. Add beans and heat through.
Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor and add lime juice and hot sauce. Process until smooth, then adjust salt to taste.