Rachael's Cheesy Twice-Baked Butternut Squash is the ultimate fall comfort food and holiday side dish.
Rach likes to serve this alongside her Deviled Slashed Chicken.
- 2½ to 3 pounds butternut squash
- Non-aerosol oil spray
- Salt, pepper, grated nutmeg and smoked sweet paprika
- ½ cup sour cream (1 tablespoon per serving of squash)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus more to serve
- 2 cups shredded sharp or mild orange cheddar
Preheat oven to 425˚F.
Cut and seed squash and cut into 4 portions. Spray with oil and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and sweet smoked paprika, then roast cut-side down to tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool and scoop out flesh, keeping shell and thin layer of flesh intact. Combine the flesh with sour cream, chives and cheese, reserving about ¼ of the cheese to top. Mash and mix together to combine. Preheat broiler. Stuff the flesh back into squash shells and top with remaining cheese, then brown under broiler and top with chives.